Audi debuts first US laser light on the 2017 R8 V10 plus exclusiveWednesday 2, November 2016
- Each 2017 R8 exclusive edition comes standard equipped with full LED headlights, which are now supplemented by a laser high beam module
- The R8 exclusive edition represents the full spectrum of what is available to customers through the Audi exclusive program; only 25 examples will be produced
- Audi laser light is the latest production technology in a long line of lighting innovations from Audi
At the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show, Audi of America will debut its first US production laser light on the 2017 Audi R8 V10 plus exclusive edition. The R8 exclusive edition utilizes full LED headlights, which are now supplemented by a laser high beam module in each headlight.
Each headlight contains one laser module that operates with four high intensity laser diodes. Each module bundles these diodes into a blue laser beam with a wavelength of 450 nanometers. A phosphor converter then transforms the blue laser beam into a very bright and pure white light. The R8 exclusive edition is also the first Audi vehicle to couple the laser light with dynamic front turn signals.
An identifying characteristic of the laser headlights is their blue light signature in the headlight housing. The laser beam pattern, which is active at speeds of 40 mph and above (when conditions permit), supplements the LED high beam and greatly enhances visibility for the driver by projecting a low and wide beam of light on the road ahead.
Audi laser light is the latest production technology in a long line of lighting innovations from the four rings. Audi pioneered LED technology with daytime running lights on the Audi A8 L W12 in 2004 and all-LED headlights on the R8 in 2008. Lighting innovations such as dynamic turn signals, Matrix LED headlights (not available in the US) and now laser high beams are prime examples of how Audi continues to set an industry standard for automotive lighting technology.
2017 Audi R8 V10 plus exclusive edition
The 2017 Audi R8 V10 plus exclusive edition in Quantum Gray represents the full and extensive spectrum of what is available to customers through the Audi exclusive program.
Quantum Gray paintwork aside, each exclusive edition gains a titanium black-optic exterior package which includes a gloss anthracite front grille and 20-inch 10-spoke-Y-design wheels in high-gloss anthracite finish. The R8’s carbon sideblade gets a Solar Orange painted vertical stripe, complementing the racing shell seats, which also boast vertical orange leather elements. The full leather interior package in Black and Signal orange includes an Audi exclusive door sill trim in leather and a leather wrapped steering wheel with a Signal Orange 12 o’clock marker.
Other features include:
• Full-LED headlights with laser high beam technology
• Quantum Gray exterior color
• Titanium Black-optic exterior package
• 20-inch 10-spoke-Y-design wheels in high-gloss anthracite
• Carbon sideblade with Solar Orange stripe
• Steering wheel with Signal Orange 12 o’clock marker
• Audi exclusive Full Leather package in Black/Signal Orange
• Audi exclusive customized illuminated door sills “one of 25”, Carbon matte
• Audi exclusive door sill trim in Leather
• Audi exclusive Alcantara® headliner w/ diamond-stitching
• Audi exclusive rear panel and rear shelf in Alcantara®
• Audi exclusive floor mats
• Audi exclusive luggage compartment trim in Alcantara®
• Audi Beam – R8 logo
Each R8 exclusive edition in Quantum Gray is standard equipped with fixed backrest racing shell seats, Audi carbon ceramic brakes, carbon fiber rear diffuser, front lip spoiler, exterior mirror housings, and fixed rear wing spoiler.
A total of 25 Exclusive Edition units will be produced with a starting MSRP of $229,200.
Above price excludes destination charge ($1,250), taxes, title, options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price.
Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands globally. The Audi Group delivered over 1,800,000 vehicles to customers globally in 2015, and broke all-time company sales records for the 6th straight year in the U.S. Through 2019, AUDI AG plans to invest about 24 billion euros - 70 percent of the investment will flow into the development of new models and technologies. Visit www.audiusa.com or www.audiusa.com/newsroom for more information regarding Audi vehicles and business topics.
Director, Product/Technology/Motorsports Communications
Product Communications Specialist